Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reaping and sowing

"You can't reap unless you sow!" the phrase hit me in a way that I, honestly, had never thought about sowing-and-reaping before. I was at the theater watching The Lorax with my two young sons and that phrase jumped from the big screen into my thoughts.

As a child, I grew up with the biblical paraphrase, "you reap what you sow." I have always understood it as a warning; you do something bad and something bad will happen. I remember countless times praying for crop failure.

Today I heard the phrase with a different, redemptive tone. It's not a warning; it is a promise, a call to life! It is an encouraging voice asking me to live fully--to embrace life. Do I have the courage, the self preservation, to sow what I really need to reap; to live a life worthy of living.

A half dead existence of addiction and shame--praying for crop failure is not what I was intended for. I am meant to trully live. Like Dr Suess' story, I can't reap a forrest of beauty unless I plant the rare seed in my life that can restore me.

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." -Galations 6:7

No comments:

Post a Comment